A Guide to Cold Lasers for Home Use
When it comes to buying a cold laser for the home, many people are overwhelmed with the conflicting claims, specifications and hyper-marketing literature. It is our job at ColdLasers.Org to help you understand all your options and we know that none of the lasers on the market have any exceptional technology. They all work on solid technology (controlling the dosage in photobiomodulation), not based on hype or cosmic pseudosciences, and photobiomodulation provides solid results so there is no need to fabricate extraordinary claims. Since we sell more different brands than anyone, we can help you understand the strength and weakness of every cold laser option. If you need help, call us at 1-800-388-0850 and we will do our best to guide you. This article is about home cold lasers and not about lasers for doctors' offices, veterinary and companion pet lasers or equine cold lasers.
The following table shows some recommendations for home-use lasers. See below for more general info about what makes a great laser.
| TQ Solo Portable
Class 1m Handheld
|Battery operated handheld. One of the most popular cold lasers in the world.||$2,495|
| TerraQuant / MR4 Pro
Class 1m Desktop
|High peak power super-pulsing 3-wavelength emitter.||$5,995|
| Avant LZ30p
Class 3b Handheld
|Dual wave, continuous & pulsing. Hand free and laserpuncture. Does everything well.||$4,850|
| Avant LZ30x
Class 3b Handheld
|The most flexible class 3b system at this price point.||$6,250|
| Avant LZ30z
Class 3b Handheld
|The best of class 3b laser for professionals is also the best for home owners.||$7,000|
|PowerMedic Pro 1500
Class 3b Handheld
|Simple and powerful.||$4,995|
|3b Scientific Laser Shower
|The largest emitter head in the industry safely puts out over 2 joules/second.||$4,795 or $5900|
Class 4 Desktop
|The champion of class-4 systems. Internal treatment protocols make it easy to learn.||$8,950 and Up|
According to the current FDA standards, an FDA cleared cold lasers can be sold for 3 main issues:
- Pain Control
- Inflammation Reduction
- Increased Blood Flow
These are the main 3 benefits of a cold laser. Considering that 28% of Americans are in pain at any one time, it is no surprise that there is a wide range of cold lasers available for home and office use. The underlying technology is based on using light to stimulate the cells into producing ATP, which is the food that cells need to repair damage.
Selecting the Best Cold Laser for Home Use
When it comes to choosing a cold laser for home use, there are several different factors that will have a big impact on your decision.
- Are you treating a human or an animal? If you are only treating animals, you don't have to buy an FDA cleared laser (like the Laserex or VL560) but you need to really understand the specifications of the device to make sure you are getting something that will work as well as an FDA cleared device and you are not just buying an expensive laser pointer. We test all the lasers we sell so they are all the highest quality.
- What is your budget? When it comes to cold lasers, you get what you pay for. More expensive units have more flexibility, higher power levels and typically shorter therapy times. If you have an acute (recent) injury, the treatment time is not a big issue but people with chronic injuries or problems that require treating a large surface area can accumulate a lot of treatment time. If you are doing your cold laser therapy every night while you watch your favorite shows, then the treatment time is not that important, and you can buy a less expensive device. Based on an average cost of $50/ cold laser treatments, many home users get a return on their investment of less than 1 year.
- Have you tried cold laser therapy and achieved successful results? If not, you may want to try it before you buy and confirm that it does help with your specific issue. If you have tried it (or want to try it), write down the manufacturer of the equipment and the total dosage of the therapy session if possible so we can help you find the same or a similar model to the one that proved itself. Try a class 4 system if possible to make sure that you are not being treated with a super low power system (less than 100mW) like an Erchonia or Microlight that might take months worth of treatments to see results.
- How important is safety. Lasers come in classes from 1 to 4. The laser class is based on the ability of the device to do eye damage. Class 4 lasers can do immediate damage to the eye if used improperly and in rare cases, they can heat up tissue if misused. Class I cold lasers are the safest. Keep in mind that class 1m lasers are much more powerful than a class 1 or 2 systems. "M" class lasers can be up to 500mW of equivalent power (the same as class 3b) but they cannot do eye damage unless the energy is focused thought optics. If you wear the laser safety glasses (included with every system we sell) , the possibility of eye damage is negligeable.
Technical Factors In Selecting a Home System
1. Do you have a preference about the wavelength of the device? 70% of cold lasers operate in the 800nm to 860nm wavelength for therapeutic treatments. There is some research that indicates 810nm is most effective for rebuilding deep tissue so the Chattanooga, Avant, PowerMedic, 3b Scientific or EVOlaser 810nm systems are great options. There are several manufacturers (Like Erchonia and Aura) that claim the best results are in the 600 to 680nm wavelength range. There are several top brands (TerraQuant, Thor, K-laser and Avant) that operate in multiple wavelengths. Avant is the best multi-wavelength class 3b system.
2. Do you want pulsed, continuous or both types of waves? 80% of the manufacturers offer pulsed waves and these manufacturers typically advice people to use pulsing for better long-term healing. Pulsing the lasers can allow for higher peak power levels while still being safe. On the other side, continuous wave lasers allow for higher dosages in the same treatment time and they allow for saturation of a damaged area with photons. Apollo lasers are continuous wave only. Terraquant systems and PowerMedic are pulsing only. All the other systems on this site offer both. Research shows that continuous wave (CW) is best for nervous system damage like neuropathies and pulsing is best for most other applications. If possible, it is best to buy a laser that does both pulsing and continuous.
3. How much power do you need? One of the biggest debates in the industry is about the power requirements and there is no one right answer. In general, more power = shorter treatment times or higher dosages in the same treatment time. If the power is too low, the treatment might not ever get enough energy into the tissue to have a big impact. Longer, lower power-level treatments can often get the job done for minor problems. The exception is super low power-level devices (less than 100mW) like you find on Ebay and Amazon. A class 4 laser system will deliver 100 to 1000 times more power. Higher power equipment gives users the chance to excite more cells in the target area. Power is especially critical in treating deep damage like hips and large damaged areas like in neuropathy.
Recommended Cold Lasers for Home Use
We will beat anyone's price on any laser.Conditions Typically Treated with Home Cold Lasers Many of the following conditions are covered by a standard protocol that comes with the cold lasers systems. Other will require a custom protocol. If you buy a product from ColdLasers.Org, we will support you in finding additional protocols. Home cold laser can be used to treat the pain and inflammation associated with:
- Cervical Pain
- Temporomandibular Arthritis and Arthrosis
- Rotator Cuff Tendonitis
- Shoulder Joint Injuries
- Elbow Joint Injuries
- Wrist Injuries
- Lumbar Spine: Pain, sprain, and strain
- Hip Sprain
- Hip Tendonitis (Iliopsoas)
- Knee Sprain
- Acute Patellar Tendonitis
- Achilles Tendonitis
- Calcaneal Spur
- Bone regeneration
- Tennis Elbow
- Carpal tunnel
- Herniated lumbar discs
- Inflammation muscles
- Swollen Joints
- Low back pain
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Trigger Point Therapy
- Wound Healing
- Zoster (shingles)
There are many other applications for the device that cannot be listed here. To check and see if there have been successful research studies done on a specific condition click here and enter the condition.
Contra-indications for Home Use of Cold Lasers
- Eyes: At very close range, Class 3b and 4 lasers are potentially harmful to the retina. Although accidental retinal damage is highly unlikely, it is recommended that laser protective eye wear be worn.
- Imbedded Electronics: Avoid using the laser directly over Pacemakers and other electronics
- Cancer: Do not use the laser over any known primary or secondary lesions.
- Thyroid: Laser should not be used over the thyroid gland as it might change thyroid production.
- Pregnancy: Cold laser therapy is typically not recommended for use over the pregnant uterus to avoid any risk or liability.
Pins, Metal Plates and Plastics are NOT Contraindicated:
Laser may be safely used over stitches, as well as metal implants, pins, plates and plastics.
Selecting the best cold laser for home use is not as hard as it seems. If you have the budget, the Avant LZ30 is a great class 3b and the EVOlaser 810 9-watt is a great class 4 system. They are both amazing products. If safety is the highest priority or you want something over-the-counter, the family of TerraQuant products offer great performance for less money.
Try to stay away from products based on pseudo-science and magic (quantum waves, soliton wave, zero point energy, scalar waves) and check the laser specifications to avoid buying something that is actually LED or too low power to have much impact. Just avoid the fringe manufacturers and stick to products based on photobiomodulation and you will get the same results at home that you get in the doctor's office.Here are a few reasons to buy from ColdLasers.Org
|ColdLasers is a "Brick and Mortar"
Located at 921 Main Street in Louisville, CO, we are no virtual store front, we are the biggest and best PBM store in the US.
|The Best Support in the Laser Industry
We will do everything in our power to make sure you get unbiased advice, the best training and the best service support.
|No Sales Tax Outside Colorado
The price on the site is the total price if you live outside of Colorado.
All our system include a warranty between 1 and 5 years. If there is a problem, contact us and we will help you.
|30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee
Pros get a 30-day 100% money back guarantee on any new system. Home users get a 30-day guarantee but pay a 15% restocking fee.
|Custom Marketing Support
With any Pro system over $5000, you get a custom marketing kit . We send you original artwork including flyers, pamphlets and posters.
|The ColdLasers.Org Reputation
Since 2002, we have supported tens of thousands of customers and maintained a 5-Star rating. You can trust ColdLasers.Org.
|An A+ BBB Accredited Business
As a top-rated BBB business, ColdLasers.Org has established itself as "The Trusted Name In Cold Lasers".
|Low Price Guarantee
ColdLasers.Org will beat any published competitive price and give you better support and training.
Every cold laser system over $2000 includes free 3-Day shipping to anywhere in the US and Canada.
|We Accept all Major Credit cards
We also accept checks and wire transfers.
|Financing for Professionals Available
We work with many different financing companies who focus on financing for professional.
|Your Transaction is protected